Skip to main content

A New Outlook on Motherhood & Life

Before having children, I hated children.  I couldn’t understand them, and found them incredibly annoying.  I never gave a second thought to being a mom unlike some who aspire to be one their whole lives.  One day, I would become a mom after marriage and that would be that.  The only fact I knew for sure was that I definitely wanted to have more than one child.  Being an only child, I recognized the importance of giving the gift of a sibling to my first.

Approaching motherhood going on four years now with two babes has given me new perspective on what it’s all about.

I’ve been asked before on the merits of becoming a mom or having children, and while it’s easy to complain about all the difficult parts, it has always been insurmountable to fully put into words the gravity or the magnitude of such a decision on my life.  Obviously, people say, children bring such joy and a newness to life that you have left behind in your childhood or forgotten, but that just barely covers it.  It isn’t about securing financial or emotional security when I’ve grown old and senile, because I’ve always been taught that I can only rely on myself.  I create my own happiness.

Growing up, adults always ask, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”  I always gave throw-away answers or what I thought people would want to hear.  I never knew how to even begin approaching that question.  After going through the motions of school, and working hard to get into a good college, I thought I would learn what life was all about.  I made sure to be purposeful in my time in college and not waste my mom’s hard-earned money by applying AP credits and taking classes every summer to finish school a year early.  Surely, once I’ve finished college I would then know what life is all about and what I’m supposed to be when I grew up.  After all, I’m already grown up now, right?  Once I became a teen, it was my life’s goal to become an adult with my own money and decisions.  Being all grown up at 22 years old, the world is my oyster, the places I’ll go! 

The places I indeed went were numerous.  But, the places I went and the name I’ve made for myself at my job for the past 13 years does not define me.  Sure, I have skills to write down on a resume, and stories to share with friends, but all that doing isn’t what life is all about.  It’s not about checking off the boxes of college, job, marriage, kids.  What is life all about?  I’ve come to realize that life is a journey.  Different players and places come and go in that journey, but the one constant is me.  The better I understand myself, the more equipped I am to choose the right path for me.  My goal should not be about attaining perfection, but enjoying the refinement process.


Having children has been the most life-altering, refining event in my life thus far.  It has changed the very essence of my identity like how honey poured over an object covers every surface indiscriminately and completely.  Yes, sometimes it can feel suffocating, and it has been detrimental to my career, but not in a way you might think.  On the flip-side: The greatest gain is a better understanding of my own desires, limitations, and timeline better than ever before.  I did not truly understand love and compassion until I had my first child.  I did not truly understand sacrifice and compromise until I had my second.  In a way that you can’t form a diamond without extremely high pressure, I could not test and find my true self without going through the tribulations of being a mom.  In the face of adversity, the truth reveals itself.  My truth is thanks to the hardest teachers I’ll ever encounter: my two babes.  Not only do they challenge me to raise highly functional contributors to society, they also give me daily opportunities to choose love, patience, and hope in a world where all three always seem to be in short supply.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written and expressed. <3 Love seeing you grow into the woman, wife, and mother you're destined to be. Keep on sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrifice

Having a second child has been more difficult for me than expected.  I was not prepared for the heartache of what literally felt like a breaking up or falling out with the love of my life: my first born.  I had not read about this in any blogs, vlogs, or anything.  I mean, I had read about the difficulty of managing your time between two kids, but no one mentioned how difficult it would be to step back from your obsession with your first and only child to love another.  It did make me resent my time alone with Leila a bit in the beginning because that meant Ethan was off having fun with daddy while I was stuck at home sustaining a newborn.  My first love was learning about a life beyond mama.  It felt like knife wounds to the heart.  This is how I came to realize what it really means to sacrifice.  I willingly give up something that I hold so dear and close to my heart for the sake of someone else.  It hurts and it is an uphill battle to try to make amends with those that feel wronged

For the First Timers

My friend Isabel recently asked me about my must haves for new parents, and it inspired me to post about all the things I wish someone told me as a new parent. First, cherish this time that you're welcoming your first child.  It might be your one and only or it might be one of many.  But, it will be a very special time because this child is what makes you a mom for the first time.  I think back on the time when I was caring for Ethan as a baby, and it just seemed so innocent and special then.  Also, you cannot spoil your baby.  Nevermind what parents from an older generation say; It is not possible to spoil a baby.  It's true that the baby will develop habits based on what you do, but there is time later for setting good behaviors. It's true that you don't need a lot to take care of a baby, but there are some things that are around these days that make life a bit easier.  I remember reading Charles Duhigg's "The Power of Habit" book last year and how i

Subscription Box Loves

Ever since becoming a mom, convenience has been the name of the game.  Believe it or not, it's difficult to even find time to get to the market.  Therefore, I'd say about 99% of my shopping happens online now.  Subscription boxes have become a staple for me.  I used to be subscribed to birchbox, the makeup/skincare sample service, but a girl only needs so many sample packets.  Once I found out about these 3 below, I was hooked.     First, is my citrus lane subscription box.  It's a service that delivers stuff that my baby can use.  I should also mention that ever since becoming a mom, I have developed a baby stuff buying addiction.  If there's an AA group for that, I probably should join it.  But, in my defense, if there's something that can help make our lives easier, funner, or smarter for baby, what parent would deny that?  I've gotten 3 boxes so far, and I've really liked/used every item I've received.  In my most recent august box, my favorite item