Skip to main content

2nd + 3rd weekend of August

Thank you for the lovely notes and cards of comfort and warmth yesterday.  To be honest, I was a bit surprised to hear from some of you, but it's nice to know there are a few people actually reading this blog.  I feel a lot better today because of you guys.  *virtual hugs*  Time also has a way of lessening the deepness of the sadness.  I'm sure there will be days ahead that will be difficult again, like when I actually see my mom in person for the first time, but I'll cross that bridge then.

In the meantime, I'd like to continue doing regular things to further distance the sad feelings and memories.  I wish I blogged more regularly so that I wouldn't start forgetting things, but c'est la vie.  Ethan has gotten used to his new shoes now, and doesn't protest putting them on as much anymore.  We did go to Little Gym in our area, and Ethan was curiously terrified.  He wouldn't let go of Lucas, and refused to be put down.  Even his legs and feet were strongly latched onto Lucas' sides.  He was overwhelmed with all the people and unfamiliar surroundings, but intrigued at the same time.  He probably had the most fun when the class was over and the room started clearing out.  He wanted to start going through some of the obstacles with us, but the next class was filing in, so we had to leave.  If Little Gym didn't require such a huge commitment, I would sign him up right away, but I think we're going to keep trying new things to see what he likes most.  This past weekend I had signed up for a Kindermusik class, but after arriving at the appointed time, it turns out they had the address wrong.  The closest class was going to be in downtown, and that's just too far to travel to for a morning class.  Hopefully they'll start more Kindermusik classes in our city so he can experience that one day.

We did take Ethan to Petsmart the other weekend after a quick visit to Joann's.  I have to say, Petsmart may be our new favorite weekend activity.  Ethan LOVED it there.  Not only do they have all kinds of animals, they also had a doggy daycare in the back where there's all these dogs safely behind glass.  He loved seeing all the different animals, and mom and dad enjoyed the free A/C and entertainment for Ethan.  He really got a kick out of seeing the hamsters run around in their habitats.  I wish we took pictures or video, but we were too in the moment to remember to take the camera out...except for this one:


We also finally got Ethan's passport pictures done at our local CVS.  I wish we could have used the first picture that was snapped because his face was more of his usual curious demeanor, but the picture was too far away or something.  In the second, one you could see him start to whine because he didn't want to be left alone with a weird guy taking his picture.  Something I learned though is I'll probably try to take visa/passport pictures myself next time and use the kodak kiosk machines to print ID photos.  All CVS employee did was take a digital picture and then use the kiosk to print it out.  Easy peasy.  This was the end result:


We haven't taken very many pictures lately, but I'll insert some that I recently got off our DSLR.  They were shot back in May when I had the urge to take more pictures to capture Ethan's development.







A random bath time shot:

Some pics from our NY trip for our anniversary:




A few from Ethan's school's open house last month:



Dinosaur time at home:


Two weekends ago, watching Dinosaur train on Netflix:

Why does he look so old??  Also, Lucas and I have been learning a lot about dinosaurs lately.  Like, did you know the Jurassic time period was just one of the later dinosaur periods?  And that dinosaurs started out really small, and only got bigger as time went on?  We saw a pterodactyl/pteranodon the size of a T-Rex at the natural history museum on Father's day!  Also, pterodactyls and brontosauruses didn't really exist!  They're pteranodons and brachiosauruses!  Why do "facts" keep changing??  Just like how Pluto isn't really a planet....whaaaattttttt...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrifice

Having a second child has been more difficult for me than expected.  I was not prepared for the heartache of what literally felt like a breaking up or falling out with the love of my life: my first born.  I had not read about this in any blogs, vlogs, or anything.  I mean, I had read about the difficulty of managing your time between two kids, but no one mentioned how difficult it would be to step back from your obsession with your first and only child to love another.  It did make me resent my time alone with Leila a bit in the beginning because that meant Ethan was off having fun with daddy while I was stuck at home sustaining a newborn.  My first love was learning about a life beyond mama.  It felt like knife wounds to the heart.  This is how I came to realize what it really means to sacrifice.  I willingly give up something that I hold so dear and close to my heart for the sake of someone else.  It hurts and it is an uphill battle to try to make amends with those that feel wronged

For the First Timers

My friend Isabel recently asked me about my must haves for new parents, and it inspired me to post about all the things I wish someone told me as a new parent. First, cherish this time that you're welcoming your first child.  It might be your one and only or it might be one of many.  But, it will be a very special time because this child is what makes you a mom for the first time.  I think back on the time when I was caring for Ethan as a baby, and it just seemed so innocent and special then.  Also, you cannot spoil your baby.  Nevermind what parents from an older generation say; It is not possible to spoil a baby.  It's true that the baby will develop habits based on what you do, but there is time later for setting good behaviors. It's true that you don't need a lot to take care of a baby, but there are some things that are around these days that make life a bit easier.  I remember reading Charles Duhigg's "The Power of Habit" book last year and how i

Subscription Box Loves

Ever since becoming a mom, convenience has been the name of the game.  Believe it or not, it's difficult to even find time to get to the market.  Therefore, I'd say about 99% of my shopping happens online now.  Subscription boxes have become a staple for me.  I used to be subscribed to birchbox, the makeup/skincare sample service, but a girl only needs so many sample packets.  Once I found out about these 3 below, I was hooked.     First, is my citrus lane subscription box.  It's a service that delivers stuff that my baby can use.  I should also mention that ever since becoming a mom, I have developed a baby stuff buying addiction.  If there's an AA group for that, I probably should join it.  But, in my defense, if there's something that can help make our lives easier, funner, or smarter for baby, what parent would deny that?  I've gotten 3 boxes so far, and I've really liked/used every item I've received.  In my most recent august box, my favorite item