Skip to main content

5 Things I'd Tell My Preggo Self

There's this tag that's been going around on youtube that I'd like to film and post as well, but really, who has time for that when I could be sleeping.  Just keeping it real here.  So, I thought I'd post it here for fun.  What are the five things I would tell myself the next time I get preggers?

1. Plan Early
This could be many things, but most specifically, plan to be ready for the new baby by the 36 week mark.  This is considered the full term mark, although most estimate 40 weeks for a really done baby.  Ethan came early at exactly 39 weeks, and I started getting symptoms of labor the whole week leading up to it.  So, I didn't have enough time to do everything I wanted to do in the nursery.  I know it's not important, but it would have been nice to have everything ready and picture perfect way ahead of time so that I could actually just enjoy the last few days of pregnancy.  We didn't really pack our hospital bag until we had headed into the hospital the first time (we were sent home because it wasn't time yet).  It's a good thing it wasn't actually time yet, so we could properly pack the hospital bag and fill it with a few things we missed during our unofficial trial run.

2. Try a prenatal massage
I was too chicken to get one the first time around because I heard you could actually be put into labor if you weren't careful.  But, it might have been really, really nice...

3. Avoid intense heat/humidity if possible
The only time my feet swelled up really bad was when I spent all day out in Napa with some friends.  While it was a good time, all that walking and being in the hot sun resulted in sausage feet that felt a bit numb.  It wasn't a super big deal.  It did eventually go away after putting my feet up for a while, for a few days, but it would have been better to avoid the whole situation.

4. Make sure the husband takes over during labor in the hospital
I discovered, while going through active labor, that I tend to shut down when I'm in a lot of pain.  I tend to internalize my emotions and thoughts even when people are asking me questions.  It's like I expect them to read my mind.  Because it's hard to rationally create thoughts when in pain, I want to remember to tell the hubby that he needs to speak on my behalf when it comes to that time.  Thinking back on my labor, I wish I would have been more mobile or in any other position besides laying in the bed.  That position is only convenient for the nurses to monitor you, but not good when you're trying to naturally cope with the pain.  I needed the hubby to take charge and create a more favorable environment for me.  Granted, this was both of our first time being in that situation, so I think the next time we'll be more on top of things.

5. Have more fun with the pregnancy
Do all that cheesy stuff like finding a creative way to reveal to friends and family that we're expecting, do a gender reveal party, and play fun games at the baby shower.  The next pregnancy might be the last, so I should experience all that baby fun while I still can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrifice

Having a second child has been more difficult for me than expected.  I was not prepared for the heartache of what literally felt like a breaking up or falling out with the love of my life: my first born.  I had not read about this in any blogs, vlogs, or anything.  I mean, I had read about the difficulty of managing your time between two kids, but no one mentioned how difficult it would be to step back from your obsession with your first and only child to love another.  It did make me resent my time alone with Leila a bit in the beginning because that meant Ethan was off having fun with daddy while I was stuck at home sustaining a newborn.  My first love was learning about a life beyond mama.  It felt like knife wounds to the heart.  This is how I came to realize what it really means to sacrifice.  I willingly give up something that I hold so dear and close to my heart for the sake of someone else.  It hurts and it is an uphill battle to try to make amends with those that feel wronged

For the First Timers

My friend Isabel recently asked me about my must haves for new parents, and it inspired me to post about all the things I wish someone told me as a new parent. First, cherish this time that you're welcoming your first child.  It might be your one and only or it might be one of many.  But, it will be a very special time because this child is what makes you a mom for the first time.  I think back on the time when I was caring for Ethan as a baby, and it just seemed so innocent and special then.  Also, you cannot spoil your baby.  Nevermind what parents from an older generation say; It is not possible to spoil a baby.  It's true that the baby will develop habits based on what you do, but there is time later for setting good behaviors. It's true that you don't need a lot to take care of a baby, but there are some things that are around these days that make life a bit easier.  I remember reading Charles Duhigg's "The Power of Habit" book last year and how i

Subscription Box Loves

Ever since becoming a mom, convenience has been the name of the game.  Believe it or not, it's difficult to even find time to get to the market.  Therefore, I'd say about 99% of my shopping happens online now.  Subscription boxes have become a staple for me.  I used to be subscribed to birchbox, the makeup/skincare sample service, but a girl only needs so many sample packets.  Once I found out about these 3 below, I was hooked.     First, is my citrus lane subscription box.  It's a service that delivers stuff that my baby can use.  I should also mention that ever since becoming a mom, I have developed a baby stuff buying addiction.  If there's an AA group for that, I probably should join it.  But, in my defense, if there's something that can help make our lives easier, funner, or smarter for baby, what parent would deny that?  I've gotten 3 boxes so far, and I've really liked/used every item I've received.  In my most recent august box, my favorite item