Skip to main content

Weekly Currents

These past two weeks have been nice with Lucas' mom in town to help us with baby E.  It served as another reminder of how nice it would be to live close to grandparents, and family in general.  She's now off to Taiwan to spend time with her mom and siblings.  Family is the best.
 
Current movie: We were able to take advantage of having family in town by going out to the movies for the first time since we've made the move.  We saw Insurgent because I'm a massive fan of the whole Divergent trilogy.  I liked the movie, and the movie experience.  I could understand the compromises they had to make in order to make the movie quicker and more exciting.

Current Ethanism: He's learned to start throwing things onto the floor.  I'm guessing he picked this up from Dad because he used to hand him the rocks in our backyard, and Lucas would toss it back onto the ground.  He likes to take any random two objects into his hands, clap them together, and, with great gusto, throw them onto the floor.  It's funny how the little things bring him so much joy.  He also has a favorite "hiding" spot behind Dad's shirts in the closet.  "Where's Ethan??  There you are!!"

Current fav recipe: We made gumbo for the first time ever, and it managed to feed us for about three days!  I wasn't expecting it to be that filling, but it truly lasted and lasted.  It was easy to put together because it called for ingredients that were either frozen or pre-cooked like a rotisserie chicken.  I need to find more recipes like this!  Recipe is here

Current house project: Getting quotes for replacing all the ductwork in our home.  The ductwork in our home was installed very poorly with some crimped too tightly and others routed in all sorts of odd angles.  Our A/C still works, but it's very inefficient.  With the weather starting to change with warmer temps and higher humidity, the urgency to do the replacement is at an all-time high.  It sucks to have to do this after having just moved in, but the bright side is, I know a lot more about HVAC systems that I ever thought I would.

Current drink in hand: Starbucks Chai Tea Latte: I've tried this with soy milk, but I think I might prefer it with normal milk for a more mellow taste.  Of course, it pales in comparison to the chai from Samovar in the Yerba Buena Gardens (SF), but this will have to do.


source: http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2013/sep/09/physicists-claim-further-evidence-of-link-between-cosmic-rays-and-cloud-formation

Current discovery: From the prompting of Lucas' mom, we drove out a bit further into our neighborhood than we usually do, and we discovered a nice jungle gym/playground area for baby E to enjoy.  I really enjoy the swings too.  Whenever I ride a swing, it instantly lifts my spirits as I focus on the clouds above me and the air flowing through my hair.  For a few minutes, time seems to slow down to a summer's pace, to a time in my past, when all I needed to be concerned about was what I could do to fill my boredom.  Also, sidenote:I've started to realize, through NPR talks, that boredom is actually a good thing.  It's in boredom that your mind can be free to start creating new connections and recalling memories.  It's why you can suddenly think of all the things you meant to do in the day when you're showering.

Current podcast: TED Radio Hour - What is Original?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrifice

Having a second child has been more difficult for me than expected.  I was not prepared for the heartache of what literally felt like a breaking up or falling out with the love of my life: my first born.  I had not read about this in any blogs, vlogs, or anything.  I mean, I had read about the difficulty of managing your time between two kids, but no one mentioned how difficult it would be to step back from your obsession with your first and only child to love another.  It did make me resent my time alone with Leila a bit in the beginning because that meant Ethan was off having fun with daddy while I was stuck at home sustaining a newborn.  My first love was learning about a life beyond mama.  It felt like knife wounds to the heart.  This is how I came to realize what it really means to sacrifice.  I willingly give up something that I hold so dear and close to my heart for the sake of someone else.  It hurts and it is an uphill battle to try to make amends with those that feel wronged

For the First Timers

My friend Isabel recently asked me about my must haves for new parents, and it inspired me to post about all the things I wish someone told me as a new parent. First, cherish this time that you're welcoming your first child.  It might be your one and only or it might be one of many.  But, it will be a very special time because this child is what makes you a mom for the first time.  I think back on the time when I was caring for Ethan as a baby, and it just seemed so innocent and special then.  Also, you cannot spoil your baby.  Nevermind what parents from an older generation say; It is not possible to spoil a baby.  It's true that the baby will develop habits based on what you do, but there is time later for setting good behaviors. It's true that you don't need a lot to take care of a baby, but there are some things that are around these days that make life a bit easier.  I remember reading Charles Duhigg's "The Power of Habit" book last year and how i

Subscription Box Loves

Ever since becoming a mom, convenience has been the name of the game.  Believe it or not, it's difficult to even find time to get to the market.  Therefore, I'd say about 99% of my shopping happens online now.  Subscription boxes have become a staple for me.  I used to be subscribed to birchbox, the makeup/skincare sample service, but a girl only needs so many sample packets.  Once I found out about these 3 below, I was hooked.     First, is my citrus lane subscription box.  It's a service that delivers stuff that my baby can use.  I should also mention that ever since becoming a mom, I have developed a baby stuff buying addiction.  If there's an AA group for that, I probably should join it.  But, in my defense, if there's something that can help make our lives easier, funner, or smarter for baby, what parent would deny that?  I've gotten 3 boxes so far, and I've really liked/used every item I've received.  In my most recent august box, my favorite item