Skip to main content

the weekly currents

I want to attempt to start blogging on a more regular basis to try to keep in touch with the few that read this, and as a way of documenting my life better.  So, I'm going to start this series I'm calling, "the weekly currents" in the sense that I'll be listing my current project, favorite food, Ethanism...do you remember back in the old days of friendster and myspace?  Didn't they have a status asking what your current mood was?  Or your current music that you're listening to?  So, something like that.  Also, the unofficial writer from within likes that currents could also refer to water currents as in waves in the ocean.  It's like these are all just temporary things in life that pass.  Some moods or trends pass sooner than others, and some will remain for a season of life.

So, first one, here we go:
Current love: Ethan's first nike shoes

Current podcast: NPR's TED's Radio Hour: Just a little nicer

Current book I'm reading: The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman

Current Ethanism: He is starting to sound out words that start with the letter B, especially words like: bear, bubble, and ball

Current most anticipated house purchase: A dining table for our breakfast nook of the kitchen.  I don't know when we'll have a chance to start looking for one, but perhaps in two weeks.  I can't wait to be able to sit and eat while having my feet on the floor again (we've been eating at the counter of the kitchen island with bar stools)

Current house project: Repainting our stair spindles (we're hiring a pro), and figuring out our home's surround sound system setup

Current picture in roll:
The confirmation page of finally filing our claims from the move.

Current most anticipated vacation/trip: Hawaii!  It's time to celebrate Shannon as a bachelorette and enjoy lots of poke!  This will be the very first trip away from Ethan where I won't see him the next day.  I am a bit anxious about missing him too much, but at least we have facetime.

Current hero: my coworkers for letting me borrow stuff when we had nothing, do my home's final walk through, receive one of our car deliveries, and introduce us to the best restaurants in town

Current favorite food: Sushi from Osaka Japanese Restaurant off Westheimer

Current average number of sleep hours per night: 4-5

Current skill I need to master: Eyebrows

Current top of the todo list: gathering a few additional tax docs our CPAs need to start filing our taxes

Current fail moment: cutting into a bed sheet while trying to open its packaging, worst part is that it is a gift for someone else!  On the flip side, the etsy seller is amazingly sending another one free of charge, and Rita gave me an awesome suggestion to fix it where the end result may actually be better than the original!

Current blessing: my local friends who are willing to drive far into the burbs to help make my house a home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrifice

Having a second child has been more difficult for me than expected.  I was not prepared for the heartache of what literally felt like a breaking up or falling out with the love of my life: my first born.  I had not read about this in any blogs, vlogs, or anything.  I mean, I had read about the difficulty of managing your time between two kids, but no one mentioned how difficult it would be to step back from your obsession with your first and only child to love another.  It did make me resent my time alone with Leila a bit in the beginning because that meant Ethan was off having fun with daddy while I was stuck at home sustaining a newborn.  My first love was learning about a life beyond mama.  It felt like knife wounds to the heart.  This is how I came to realize what it really means to sacrifice.  I willingly give up something that I hold so dear and close to my heart for the sake of someone else.  It hurts and it is an uphill battle to try to make amends with those that feel wronged

For the First Timers

My friend Isabel recently asked me about my must haves for new parents, and it inspired me to post about all the things I wish someone told me as a new parent. First, cherish this time that you're welcoming your first child.  It might be your one and only or it might be one of many.  But, it will be a very special time because this child is what makes you a mom for the first time.  I think back on the time when I was caring for Ethan as a baby, and it just seemed so innocent and special then.  Also, you cannot spoil your baby.  Nevermind what parents from an older generation say; It is not possible to spoil a baby.  It's true that the baby will develop habits based on what you do, but there is time later for setting good behaviors. It's true that you don't need a lot to take care of a baby, but there are some things that are around these days that make life a bit easier.  I remember reading Charles Duhigg's "The Power of Habit" book last year and how i

Subscription Box Loves

Ever since becoming a mom, convenience has been the name of the game.  Believe it or not, it's difficult to even find time to get to the market.  Therefore, I'd say about 99% of my shopping happens online now.  Subscription boxes have become a staple for me.  I used to be subscribed to birchbox, the makeup/skincare sample service, but a girl only needs so many sample packets.  Once I found out about these 3 below, I was hooked.     First, is my citrus lane subscription box.  It's a service that delivers stuff that my baby can use.  I should also mention that ever since becoming a mom, I have developed a baby stuff buying addiction.  If there's an AA group for that, I probably should join it.  But, in my defense, if there's something that can help make our lives easier, funner, or smarter for baby, what parent would deny that?  I've gotten 3 boxes so far, and I've really liked/used every item I've received.  In my most recent august box, my favorite item